My name is Conner Drake and I am a pianist, percussionist and composer in my senior year at Mount Si High School in Snoqualmie, WA. My piano compositions represent a unique fusion of pop, classical and jazz. I recently published my first Album, “Who We Are”, available at CD Baby and on ITunes.
When did it all begin?
I started playing piano when I was 7 years old and writing music when I was 13. I’ve trained in classical and jazz piano. I was the pianist for the Mount Si High School Jazz I Ensemble. We qualified for the Essentially Ellington jazz Festival in New York and joined 15 of the top jazz bands from across the United States. At this competition, I was recognized with outstanding piano honors two years in a row (2014 and 2015). Standing on stage and receiving outstanding piano honors twice from Wynton Marsalis, a legend who has won nine grammy awards, was an unforgettable experience and really inspired me as a young pianist and composer to set high goals for myself — publishing an album being one of those goals!
I participate as a member of the Mount Si High School’s award winning Wind Ensemble as a percussionist. I am also a member of the high school’s Pep Band and Drumline, where I specialize in the tenor drums (“Quads”) and the vibraphone.
I now focus primarily on composing original music.
I have performed or entertained in the following venues:
- Space Needle, Seattle, WA
- Paramount Theater, Seattle WA (Starbucks Hot Java Cool Jazz)
- Tula’s Restaurant and Nightclub, Seattle, WA
- Frederick P. Rose Hall in Jazz at Lincoln Center, New York City (two years in a row, 2014 and 2015)
- La Casona Restaurant and Piano Bar, Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
- Boxley’s Restaurant, North Bend, WA
- Fall City Bistro, Fall City, WA
- North Bend Theater, North Bend, WA
- Carlson Theater, Bellevue College, Bellevue, WA
- Central Washington University, Ellensburg, WA
- TPC (Tournament Players Club) Snoqualmie Ridge, WA
- North Bend Farmers Market, North Bend, WA
- Black Dog Music and Arts Café, Snoqualmie, WA
- Pardoe Theater, HFAC, Brigham Young University, Provo, UT
- Morningside Farm, Vashon Island, WA
- Multiple Special Musical Numbers for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
Awards, honors and recognitions:
Twin Falls Middle School Jazz 1:
- 1st place, Bellevue Jazz Festival, 2011. Outstanding Piano Solo Award.
- 1st place, Bellevue Jazz Festival, 2012. Outstanding Piano Solo Award.
Mount Si High School Jazz 1 Ensemble:
- 2nd Place, Bellevue College Jazz Festival, 2015. Outstanding Piano Solo Award
- 1st Place, Jazz Northwest Festival in Spokane, WA and Sweepstakes Winner, 2015
- Finalist, Jazz at Lincoln Center Essentially Ellington Jazz Festival in New York City. Outstanding Piano Honors, 2014
- Finalist, Jazz at Lincoln Center Essentially Ellington Jazz Festival in New York City. Outstanding Piano Honors, 2015
- Outstanding Piano Solo Award, Central Washington University Jazz Festival, Ellensburg, WA, 2015
- Honorable Mention Rhythm Section, Jazz at Lincoln Center Essentially Ellington Jazz Festival in New York City, 2015
Awards on Percussion: Mount Si High School Wind Ensemble
- Gold Award for superior ratings and top band in their class. Trophy for most outstanding band in any class or category, Heritage Music Festival in Anaheim, CA, 2016.
- 4 year member of the Mount Si High School “Pep Band” and Drumline as one of the lead tenor drum (“quad”) players (2013 – 2017).
Brigham Young University Young Musicians’ Summer Festival:
- Jazz pianist for top ensemble, 2015
- Jazz pianist for top ensemble, 2016